Dr. Mariano Busso is a diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology. He is recognized as one of the world's leading experts in cosmetic fillers (as acknowledged in the prestigious Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (JAAD) by the president of the American Academy of Dermatology, Dr. C. William Hanke) 1. Dr. Busso was honored to be a part of the FDA advisory panel developing national guidelines for the use of cosmetic fillers 2-5. Over the past three decades, Dr. Busso has developed one of the largest cosmetic practices in the U.S. based in Miami, FL. Dr. Busso has now expanded his practice to Beverly Hills, CA to better serve his celebrity clientele.
Dr. Busso was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He received his medical degree from the University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine where he graduated top of his class with an Honoris Diploma, the highest academic honor. In order to expand his knowledge, he studied molecular biology for three years in the Department of Dermatology at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami while making major contributions in the field of AIDS 6-17. He went on to complete his internship in general surgery and then completed his fellowship in dermatology at the University of Miami. As a dermatology resident, Dr. Busso received the highest awards a resident can receive, the George Ioannides Teaching Award and the Upjohn Research Award. He then became a voluntary assistant clinical professor in the Department of Dermatology at the University of Miami. Dr. Busso was then made chief of dermatology at Mercy Hospital in Miami, FL and currently remains a senior medical attending.
Dr. Busso has made many breakthrough discoveries throughout his career with multiple contributions in the research field. He is viewed as a thought leader in his specialty, and his views are frequently sought after by industry leaders, like Allergan, Merz, Galderma, BTL, and NovaThreads. Dr. Busso developed multiple original published techniques for filler injections in the cheeks, temples, forehead, and hands 18-21. In fact, the scale to evaluate volume loss in the hands is called the Busso Hand Volume Severity Scale 20.
Dr. Busso also developed a worldwide used technique to add lidocaine to fillers, as well as adjust their viscosity to the treated area 22. This discovery revolutionized the industry. Dr. Busso has also made major contributions in the field of energy devices. He helped develop treatment protocols for Ultherapy®, Vanquish™ ME, and EMSCULPT®. He participated in multiple clinical trials as a clinical investigator for Artefill (Bellafill®), RADIESSE®, Luminex, EMSCULPT, and EMTONE®.
Today, Dr. Busso continues to investigate the development of new cosmetic procedures and develop new techniques. Physicians from all over the U.S. and the world have been trained by Dr. Busso in fillers and BOTOX® techniques. After years of experience working with threads and fillers, he has developed the BussoLyft®. The BussoLyft removes dark circles and can be combined with threads to reduce jowls using a unique technique developed using his decades of experience with threads and fillers. His technique is a game-changer in rejuvenation.
Outside of his practice, Dr. Busso maintains his curiosity splitting his time between playing guitar, tennis, AIDS-related charity work, and his family.
1. Hanke CW. Evolution of filler materials in dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013; 68(5): 858-859.
2. Hanke CW, Rohrich RJ, Busso M, Carruthers A, Carruthers J, Fagien S, Fitzgerald R, Glogau Retal. Facial Soft-Tissue Fillers: Assessing the State of the Science conference-Proceedings report. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Apr;64(4 Suppl): S53-65.
3. Hanke CW, Rohrich RJ, Busso M, Carruthers A, Carruthers J, Fagien S, Fitzgerald R, Glogau R, et al. Facial Soft-Tissue Fillers conference: Assessing the State of the Science. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 Apr;64(4 Suppl): S66-85, S85.e1-136. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2011.02.009.
4. Rohrich RJ, Hanke CW, Busso M, Carruthers A, Carruthers J, Fagien S, Fitzgerald R, Glogau R, et al. Facial soft-tissue fillers conference: assessing the state of the science. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Apr;127(4 Suppl):22S-S. Erratum in: Piast Reconstr Surg. 2011 May;127(5):2138-9
5. Hanke CW, Moy RL, Roenigk RK, Roenigk HH Jr, Spencer JM, Tierney EP, Bartus CL, Bernstein RM, Brown MD, Busso M, Carruthers A, Carruthers J, lbrahimi OA, Kauvar AN, Kent KM, Krueger N, Landau M, Leonard AL, Mandy SH, Rohrer TE, Sadick NS, Wiest LG. Current status of surgery in dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013 Dec;69(6):972-1001
6. Busso ME, Mian AM, Hahn EF, and Resnick I. Nucleotide dimers suppress HIV expression in vitro. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1988; 4:449-455.
7. Agarwal RP, Busso ME, Mian AM, and Resnick L. Uptake of 2', 3' dideoxyadenosine in HIV infected and non-infected human cells. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1989; 5:527-536.
8. Davila E, Wallack MK, Resnick L, Busso ME, Gronka S, Darnell E. and Bash JA. Clinical response to IL-2/LAK therapy of advanced melanoma in an HIV positive patient. Cancer Detection and Prevention. 1989; 7:835-839.
9. Busso ME, Resnick L, Yang BH, and Mian AM. Cellular pharmacology and anti-HIV activity of 2',3' dideoxyguanosine. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses; 6:1991-1995.
10. Busso ME and Resnick L. Anti-HIV effects of dextran sulfate are strain dependent and antagonistic or synergistic when dextran sulfate is given in combination with dideoxynucleosides. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1990; 34: 19911995.
11. Busso ME, Thornwaite J, and Resnick L. HIV-induced syncytium formation requires the formation of conjugates between virus infected and uninfected T-cells in vitro. AIDS 1991; 5:1425 1432.
12. Romero DL, Busso ME, Tan CK, Reusser F, Palmer JR, Poppe SM, Aristoff PA, Downey KM, So AG, Resnick L. and Tarpley WG. Novel bisheteroarylpiperazine HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitors which potently inhibit viral replication in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1991; 88:8806-8810.
13. Althaus IW, LeMay RJ, Gonzalez AJ, Deibel MR, Sharma SK, Kezdy FJ, Resnick L, Busso ME, Aristoff PA, and Reusser F. Enzymatic kinetics studies with the non nucleoside HIV RT inhibitor U-9843. Experience 1992; 48: 1127-1132.
14. Romero DL, Morge RA, Genin MJ, Biles C, Busso ME, Resnick L, Althaus IW, Reassure F, Thomas RC, and Tarpley WG. BHAP reverse transcriptase inhibitors: Structure activity relationships of novel subs-tituted indole analogues and the identification of a second generation chemical candidates. (J. Med Chem. 1993;36:1505-1508.
15. Dueweke TJ, Poppe SM, Romero DL, Swaney SM, So AG, Downey Km, Althaus IW, Reusser F, Busso ME, Resnick L, Mayers DL, Lane, Aristoff, Thomas RC, and Tarpley WG. U-90152; a potent inhibitor of HIV-1 replication. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 1993; 37:1127-1131.
16. Romero DL, Morge RA, Biles C, Berrios-Pena N. May P, Palmer JR, Johnson PD, Smith HW, Busso ME, Tan CK, Voorman R, Reusser F, Althaus IW, Downey KM, So AG, Resnick L, Tarpley WG, and Aristoff P. Discovery, Synthesis and Bioactivity of Bis (heteroaryl) piperazines (BHAPs): A Novel Class of Non-nucleoide HIV-1 ReverseTranscriptase Inhibitors. J Med Chem 1994, 37: 999-1014.
17. Busso ME and Resnick L. Development of an assay that detects transcriptionally component Human Immunodeficiency Virus type one particles. J of Virol Methods 1994, 47: 129-140.
18. Busso M and Karlsberg P. Cheek augmentation and rejuvenation using injectable calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse). Cosmet Dermatol 2006.Sep;19(9):583-588.
19. Busso M and Applebaum D. Hand augmentation with Radiesse. Dermatologic Therapy 2007. Dec; 20:385-387.
20. Busso M, Moers-Carpi M, Storck,R, Ogilvie P, Ogilvie A. Multicenter, Random ized Trial Ass essin g The Effectiveness And Safety Of Calcium Hydroxylapatite for hand rejuvenation. Dermatologic Surgery. Volume 36, Issue 1, 2010, Pages: 790-797
21. Busso M, Howell DJ. Forehead recontouring using calcium hydroxylapatite. Dermatol Surg. 2010 Nov;36 Suppl 3:1910-3.
22. Busso M, Voigts R. An investigation of changes in physical properties of injectable calcium hydroxylapatite in a carrier gel when mixed with lidocaine and with lidocaine/epinephrine Dermatol Surg. 2008 Jun;34 Suppl 1: S16-23; discussion S24.
3006 Aviation Ave Ste 2C
Miami, FL 33133
Dr Busso did such a great job with my lips! Very natural looking, painless and no bruising at all.. I’ve done lip fillers several times before, this is the best experience so far! Five stars!!!
Dr. Busso is an artist, that’s why I have been going to him for the past 20 years and aging with him gracefully. Love, Love, Love Dr. Busso!
Literally the best! The nurses and assistants are all super sweet and Dr. Busso himself is amazingggggggg! Very natural results, very gentle technique ❤️👄💉
Dr. Busso and his entire staff is Amazing! I will not go anywhere else!
Dr. Busso makes you feel like a princess, he spends so much time listening to your questions and concerns… and always has precisely the right solution!